Sign in to follow this  
Orthrin

Suggestions for Server Improvements

Posted (edited)

I will remind some of my old suggestions in which I think that will help the server improvements.

Adding 2 step Authentication Feature

This will prevent account theft issues, and bring more people to the server. Many players do not want to play on private servers because they are not convinced of the protection of their labor. This is not only providing safety for existing players but also persuading newcomers about their labor will be protected. Some other private servers gained their players' trust only by this system.

Community Guild & 40 Level Whisper Restriction 

40 level whisper restriction will cut off a high portion of gold sellers because it requires a high amount of time to grind. Community guild that will invite people automatically or by /command could help to level people to organize among themselves.

Prevent Capital Letter Usage in Whispers

Goldsellers are using capital letters, prevent it with regex. There is no specific reason that I think to use capital letters in whispers. Besides we should not be shouting while whispering

Create Subreddit for Advertisement and Discussions

Instead of using high price facebook advertisement use Reddit platform to introduce the qualities of the server. Many people are starting on servers by learning about them from Reddit posts. Because somehow it set its legitimacy among people. Use volunteer moderators.

Player Based Bot Control & Game Master Mechanism 

Set a command-based system for players to help each other as well as bot control. Create a level system on the trust to reward people for the contributions to community work. 
An example system for trust factor that might be adjusted: https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

Create Class Discussions Category on Forum

When people search for improvement in their class they will lead to omegawow's website.

Create Addon Database Compatible with 3.3.5

Same reason as the top.

Faction Transfer Utilities for Automated Balance

46~50% | 50~54% => Full cost

40~46% | 54~60% => 50% cost discount for not crowded while +50% cost towards the crowded faction

Below 38% | Over +62% => Free for not crowded while x2 cost for crowded faction

Thank you for your considerations and time

Edited by Orthrin

I'll go through these one by one:

I've talked with Hurii about stuff like 2-step authentication. For now, we're thinking of going full on the e-mail confirmation part, which was a bit wonky before but if we manage to implement it in a way that e-mails don't get lost in the deepest, darkest corner of people's e-mail accounts, that would be great. In terms of 2-step authentication, Hurii doesn't think it'll do too much to stop bots, but still worth considering and discussing the pros and cons of it.

Level 40 whisper restriction - I believe we had it on for a while, but it didn't do much; however, with me logging in twice a day for the sole purpose of screening the server for bots, it might make it easier to catch the gold selling whisperers if we put this back in. Stay tuned.

Preventing capital letter usage in posts - Not sure if it's possible to implement, and also not sure if it would stop the bots; the reason they're using it right now it so it enters your eyes more dramatically, but they could probably still send the message just as well by using small case letters.

Fine, I'll create the damn subreddit! N'zoth help us.

When you mention the Discourse system, I assume this would be for the in-game? Cause if it's for the in-game, out biggest issue is I'm pretty sure we can't give accounts just the .mute command without automatically having them be flagged as GM accounts (which could have... devastating ramifications); and as far as I know the only workaround to that would be giving the .mute command to all level 0 accounts, which basically means the entire playerbase.

Class Discussions Forum -> Fine :< But I'm only making a "Guides" section, not one for each class; it'll get used much less that one might think, but it should still be enough to redirect people here if the topic names are good enough.

Create Addon DB compatible with 3.3.5 - So like, Atlasloot but you can query more stuff?

Faction Transfer Utilities for Automated Balanced - Please expand on this, you've got costs listed there, but all of our transfers are free (and not automated so we can enforce the minimum 2k HKs for Alliance->Horde)

Thank you for your consideration.

1- Capital letter usage could be handled by regex, bots spamming it because they are earning money from it. If you cut off the understandability of their message this may prevent their endeavour.

2- About the discourse system it was basically flag usage for people. When people report botters with /report or command something like this, after a point (example 100) a point it will be reported to gms for control. If it is a true bot, players who have reported it will gain vote strength. And next time will have more power on reporting. If people abuse their vote weight will be disabled. It may require a database but could set self-governing help center mechanism. As well as game related questions.

3- It is not a good idea to make faction transfer easy. I think it must be possible but high cost and this cost should be oriented with the formula on top for the sake of balance. Otherwise, when people want to win bg they would just simply change their factions, this would inflate unbalance.

On 6/9/2019 at 8:51 PM, Orthrin said:

Thank you for your consideration.

1- Capital letter usage could be handled by regex, bots spamming it because they are earning money from it. If you cut off the understandability of their message this may prevent their endeavour.

2- About the discourse system it was basically flag usage for people. When people report botters with /report or command something like this, after a point (example 100) a point it will be reported to gms for control. If it is a true bot, players who have reported it will gain vote strength. And next time will have more power on reporting. If people abuse their vote weight will be disabled. It may require a database but could set self-governing help center mechanism. As well as game related questions.

3- It is not a good idea to make faction transfer easy. I think it must be possible but high cost and this cost should be oriented with the formula on top for the sake of balance. Otherwise, when people want to win bg they would just simply change their factions, this would inflate unbalance.

In terms of gold spam it's gotten pretty quiet lately, mostly due to the 3 banning crusades a day we've been running on the bastards, so banning letters might not be necessary if we're lucky and they don't come back in force.

For number 2, our two new GMs have been ravenous against bots, to the point that I actually have free time to do something else, so I'd put it on the backburner with number 1 as well

For number 3: I am planning on announcing that we will be stopping Alliance -> Horde transfers very soon. That would mean that only free Horde -> Alliance transfers would remain available. Would you suggest we keep it that way, or open donation-powered transfers like you wrote above?

Posted (edited)

1,2: I am not having gold spam messages lately, Thanks for precautions and congratulations!

3: My suggestion is faction transfer could be both omega coin or donation point. For instance, 10 donation point or 200 omega coin. (prices are just random)

Faction 1 | Faction 2

46~50% | 50~54% =>
Full cost for for both transfer

40~46% | 54~60% =>
50% cost discount for not crowded while +50% cost towards the crowded faction.
For instance, assume Alliance is between 40~46% in weekly mean, system will autonomously adjust price for Horde to Alliance as 7 donation point or 100 omegacoin, while  the Alliance to Horde cost will be 15 donation point or 300 omegacoin.

Below 38% | Over +62% =>

Free for not crowded while x2 cost for crowded faction. If the weight difference is hardly broken. In case of Alliance is suffering, Horde to Alliance will be free. While Alliance to Horde will cost 20 donation point or 400 omegacoin.

Edited by Orthrin